Responders are specialized Net Control Operators who have the training
required to operate the WX4AKQ ham radio station inside the NWS Wakefield WFO.
Requirements for Responders Operating from NWS Wakefield
Here is a general outline of the requirements to qualify as a WX4AKQ Responder:
- All current Net Control Operator Training.
- General Class Amateur Radio License or higher.
- Recommendation from a SKYWARN Area Manager or the Amateur Radio Coordinator.
- Review and understanding of the Responder Training Manual.
- Basic FEMA National Incident Management System (NIMS) Training representing the
minimum NIMS training typically required for EOC clearance is now required of
all Responders and can be completed online.
IMPORTANT: At this time, prior version training
will be accepted (ie, IS-100.a training fulfills the IS-100.b training
requirement) though as this FEMA training evolves our certification
requirements may also change.
- Review and understanding of the APRS & Packet Training Manual.
Existing Net Control Operators interested in taking on a position as a Responder should contact their Area Manager.
- No current training resources are available for download.
SKYWARN Systems Training and Reference
Other resources may be available in the Training & Reference File Libraries.